IRL Book Friends | Recently in Reading #2

"Recently in Reading" is a feature on my blog that I created myself, although I did adapt it from the Goodreads Tag and made it into a feature that I could do semi-regularly on my blog!
Much of the reason I created this was so that I could have something to do on my blog when I've kind of fallen off the internet and haven't been blogging as much as I would like. So, it's been a while. I've had three posts in draft for almost the entirety of February . . . and it's now March 12th. However, we're not going to think about that, and I'm going to do a quick update on what's been happening in my reading life.
I never got around to reviewing this on my blog, but you can find my review of this absolutely fantastic book over on Goodreads.

I really, really enjoyed this book. It was the last book that I read (which was in February, but shhh I need you to keep my secret) and I think it's a bit early to say but I think this could be a favorite of the entire year. It's definitely going to be hard to beat.

This is the story of Frances, who is a student in the UK. She's a study machine, she's Head Girl, she's an artist, and she's loves this podcast called Universe City. This book is incredible, and it's incredibly diverse. Frances is biracial as well as bisexual. There's actually a demisexual character, and when I read that part of the story, vulcan Monica was in tears.

If you're in the US, you can preorder it through Amazon (it comes out March 28th!) or if you're not (or you are) the UK version is already available through Book Depository.


Are you ready for my ridiculous "I Can't Choose Which Book to Read So I'm Reading Too Many" list? Well, here they are (from left to right, most recently started to I've been reading this book forever):


  • FAKING NORMAL: I actually just picked this up yesterday (S/O to me for breaking my book-buying ban!) because I got to meet Courtney Stevens at SEYA book fest yesterday and needed to read something of her's immediately. Update: I really, really like it. (Also, it takes place in Tennessee, my state! How cool is that!?)
  • VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER: I'm so proud of myself. I continue onward with my goal of finally finishing this series. I'm a good way into the audiobook of this, and it's might be beating out Magician's--or, *gasp* Wardrobe--for my favorite in the Narnia series thus far.
  • HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME: This book is one that I'm honestly really enjoying, but the constant roller coaster, back and forth between happy chapters and sad chapters really was starting to take a toll on me and I had to put it to the side for a bit. I'm reading this about two or four chapters at a time. So, see you in June with my review of this book.



I'm putting this upcoming book on here for this, but I could also put Sheba's other book, Skunk Girl, on here as well. I had never heard of Sheba Karim's books before I saw her on a panel at SEYA this weekend. She seemed very sweet, and the way she talked about her books really made me want to read them.

Goodreads link so that you can also discover this wonderful woman


So before I went to SEYA and got obsessed with reading everything Courtney Stevens has ever written, I was planning on spending this week finishing two amazing series by two of my favorite authors. These two hunking finales:


I'm setting myself up for a week of tears and feels. I'll see you on the other side.



Hi, hello. I haven't shut up about SEYA throughout the duration of the post. (Fear not, it doesn't stop here!) But after hearing Courtney speak and getting to see her absolutely genuine and beautiful personality, I knew that I needed to read at least something that she's written. Naturally, I picked up her debut book because I wanted to start at the beginning.


I haven't planned this out yet, but I won't buy another physical book until Laini Taylor's Strange the Dreamer releases.

At least, I hope so.

photo cred: Jenna (the beauty in the yellow flannel) | twitter | youtube | photography website 

Can you guess? Can you guess?

You're right. It was the Southeastern YA Book Festival that was yesterday, March 11th. I got to hang out with some amazing book friends as well as meet some new ones. I also got to meet some of the absolute sweetest authors.

Adam Silvera was so nice, and I luckily got in the beginning of his signing line.

Becky Albertalli took so much time to just listen to me rant and rave about my love for Simon and my excitement for Upside. She drew an Oreo in my book. Life is complete. She was the absolute sweetest.

(paragraph-long ramble about Courtney C. Stevens redacted for your own sanity)

Mindy McGinnis is basically the queen of genres. She was so sweet and probably has the neatest author signature of all time. I'm excited to read her many, many books.

And that's it! Tell me what you are currently reading/loving and the most recent bookish favorite of yours down in the comments!


Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment